There is a wide range of makeup brushes available out there that can applying the makeup flawlessly. However, many of us tend to ignore the fact that like our toothbrushes, or loofahs, makeup brushes also need to be cleaned out from time to time. This is to ensure maximum protection and care of your skin from harmful phenomena that can occur due to untidiness of your makeup brushes. Dust, germs and old makeup can accumulate in your makeup brushes and the idea is not only gross but also potentially harmful for your skin’s health.
How often should you clean your makeup brushes?
The answer to this is, every day. Yes, you read that right. Every. Day. This is the ideal case scenario to clean your makeup brushes every day to ensure that no waste accumulates inside of them. However, if you are busy and you do not use makeup on a daily basis then there is no harm in cleaning your makeup brushes after you have used them. This can be twice a week or more. Though, you must clean your makeup brushes at least once a week. If you refuse to clean your makeup brushes thoroughly and frequently, your skin will bear the brunt of the damage. The bacteria that accumulate in the brushes will attack your skin and you may find yourself facing problems like rashes, pimples, inflammation etc. In short, the overall hygiene of your skin will be affected adversely.
How to clean your makeup brushes?
There are different ways to clean the makeup brushes. The easiest one is using the good old soap and shampoo technique. This will thoroughly clean your brushes and will ensure that any accumulation of old makeup particles or dust is washed away and your brushes are as new as they were when you bought them.
What to use to clean makeup brushes?
Cleaning your makeup brushes is easy and hassle-free. All you need are things lying around your house normally, including liquid soap with antibacterial qualities, shampoo and your makeup brushes. You can easily clean your brushes by applying shampoo or soap in your hand and swirl your brushes around to bring the gunk out. You can also consider using a makeup brush egg for a really deep clean. The groves and ridges ensure the tiny particles in your brush are taken out and washed away from the brushes.
Do’s and Don’ts of cleaning makeup brushes:
There are a few Do’s and Don’ts of makeup brush cleaning that you need to keep in mind when doing so.
- As mentioned above, make sure you clean your brushes frequently to avoid any accumulation of bacteria and bugs that may harm your skin.
- Clean your brushes thoroughly with soap or shampoo. The tiny bristles contain old makeup and bacteria, pay special attention to each of them. This is time consuming but important.
- Treat the bristles with gentleness and try not to squeeze them too hard. This will destroy their shape and functionality.
- You should only soak the bristles in water and not the handles. If you will soak them in the water, they might crack open as the glue that attaches the bristle to the handle will run off.
- Do not use strong materials to clean the brushes. Try to use something mild such as baby shampoo to clean the brushes.
- Don’t use a hairdryer to dry the bristles. Lay them down to dry on a microfiber cloth overnight and by morning, they should be dry and ready to use!